You can find more information on leaving a legacy to SarcoidosisUK in your Will below.
Why leave a Legacy to SarcoidosisUK?
Legacy gifts are transformative for small charities such as SarcoidosisUK. Membership donations keep the charity alive but legacies mean huge progress, especially with research.
SarcoidosisUK’s research investment is matched by the British Lung Foundation (BLF). In 2015 the BLF doubled our research spending from £60k to £120k.
For those with sarcoidosis:
Information – SarcoidosisUK produces and distributes information about sarcoidosis for patients, carers, employers, and medical professionals.
Support – SarcoidosisUK leads a network of support services; support groups, a nurse helpline and a counselling line.
Research – SarcoidosisUK commissions one major annual research project into finding a cure. We aim to do this each year until we succeed.
Reduce the inheritance tax paid on your estate.
Peace of mind that you are contributing to a cause close to your heart, long into the future.
The chance to make a significant contribution to SarcoidosisUK and have a say in how it’s spent (conditional gift).
Why make a will…
- Make sure you have peace of mind that your wishes are followed.
- Make it easier on friends and family.
- Help to minimise inheritance tax.
- Protect the rights of your partner if you are not married or in a civil partnership.
- Give your assets to the people and causes you love most.
How to make a will…
We recommend you use a solicitor or professional will writer. Wills are so important that most people prefer a solicitor involved to ensure their will is legal and valid.
How to change a will…
You need a codicil to change an existing will.
A codicil is a short, simple, legal document which can be appended to a will. This simply amends an existing will to add a fixed sum (effectively a donation) to be given to a non-profit organisation, such as SarcoidosisUK. There is a draft codicil you can use on the SarcoidosisUK website.
You may need to understand and use these words when writing or changing your will to include a legacy gift to SarcoidosisUK:
- Codicil: A separate document altering or adding to your existing will.
- Conditional gift: A gift which is subject to a fulfilment of a particular condition (e.g. only spent on research).
- Executors: The person or people you choose to make sure the wishes in your will are properly carried out.
- Legacy/Bequest: The gift you leave in your will.
- Pecuniary gift: A fixed sum of money left as a gift in a will.
- Residuary gift: A gift of the residue of the estate, usually expressed as a percentage. This is the most common type of legacy gift.
- Specific legacy: The gift of a particular item rather than money (e.g. jewellery).
- Testator: A person who makes a will.
I’m not wealthy, can I still make a difference? Yes. This is especially true with a small charity such as SarcoidosisUK. Every donation, however small, makes a difference and enables us to provide information, support and research for a growing number of people with sarcoidosis.
What happens if I change my mind after leaving a gift? You should think very carefully about a gift before you write one into your will. However, if you change your mind you can amend and rewrite your will whenever and however you choose.
Where can I find out more information about the tax benefits associated with Legacy giving? Use the online HMRC calculator (see back page) to calculate how a gift would affect the tax you pay on your estate. Consult your solicitor for further advice and information.
How can I find a solicitor? Family and friends may be able to recommend a good solicitor. Alternately, if you live in the UK you can find a local solicitor via The Law Society (see below).
How can I include SarcoidosisUK in my will if I live outside of the UK? Please get in touch with SarcoidosisUK more information.
- HMRC Calculator: use this to calculate how leaving a legacy in your will would effect the tax you pay on your estate. www.
- The Law Society: use this to find a local solicitor to help you write or make changes to your will.
- Draft codicil: use this form as a template if you wish to change your will to include a legacy gift to SarcoidosisUK.
Related content from SarcoidosisUK:
We would love to hear from you. Please get in touch with any questions, comments or suggestions.
Read quality and accessible information about sarcoidosis, including symptoms, treatment and diagnosis.
How can we support you? Find more information on our Nurse Helpline, Support Groups and Online Support.