SARCOIDOSISUK TIMELINE AND MILESTONES
SarcoidosisUK have come a long way in the past 20 years. We have detailed some of the milestones in the timeline below. Click the links for more information on that event.
- October: SarcoidosisUK Nurse Helpline makes 500th call.
- October: SarcoidosisUk 20th Anniversary Campaign hits £60k goal.
- September: Jack attends European Respiratory Society Congress in Paris.
- September: SarcoidosisUK Belfast Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- August: SarcoidosisUK Leeds Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- August: SarcoidosisUK Patient Council launched.
- July: Online KSQ launched – health questionnaire to guide and inform treatment plans and consultations.
- July: New Patient Information Leaflet published: Sarcoidosis and the Liver.
- July: Video project launched.
- May: Sarcoidosis Patient Stories project launched to spread awareness of how sarcoidosis affects people differently.
- April: SarcoidosisUK Chester Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- April: SarcoidosisUK Hampshire Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- April: Inaugural SarcoidosisUK National Quiz held across the UK to raise money for our 20th Anniversary Campaign.
- March: Jacqui Newton joins SarcoidosisUK as our first Patient Ambassador.
- March: Sarcoidosis FAQ Page goes live.
- March: SarcoidosisUK Central London Support Group moves to St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington.
- March: New SarcoidosisUK website goes live. This makes it easier for anyone affected by sarcoidosis to find the best information and support online.
- March: Marcin Waszak joins SarcoidosisUK as Fundraising and Marketing Executive.
- February: New Clinical Partnership established between Imperial College Trust and SarcoidosisUK.
- Febuary: SarcoidosisUK North West Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- January: SarcoidosisUK North Kent Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- January: SarcoidosisUK Research Grant 2017 awarded to Dr Steven Fowler and his team at the University of Manchester.
- December: 20th Anniversary Research Campaign Launched.
- November: Jenny joins the SarcoidosisUK Nurse Helpline.
- November: SarcoidosisUK Northampton Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- October: Sarcoidosis Consultant Directory announced, the first of its kind in the UK.
- June: SILA changes its name to ‘SarcoidosisUK’ and launches new website to increase awareness of the condition and better reflect our work.
- May: Johnston Connelly joins SILA as Fundraising Officer and second employee.
- April: SILA Devon/Cornwall Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- March: SILA Brighton Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- March: SILA prints and distributes Employers Leaflet to advise and inform on sarcoidosis employee rights.
- February: SILA Norwich Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- February: SILA Nurse Helpline makes its 100th call.
- December: SILA income for 2014-16 (£315,000) is nearly 3 times the amount raised in previous 15 years (1998-2013: £115,000). Accounts and spending summaries.
- December: SILA-BLF Sarcoidosis Research Grant commissioned a £112,000 3-year academic research project at Papworth Hospital into cardiac sarcoidosis. Start date April 2017.
- December: SILA prints and distributes Patient Information Leaflets to the top 130 sarcoidosis specialists across the UK.
- November: SILA welcomes two new trustees, Emil Gadimaliyev and Susan Wilson.
- November: SILA moves into its own office for the 1st time.
- August: SILA Nurse Helpline makes its 1st call. Schedule a call.
- October: SILA Scotland North Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- September: SILA Facebook group hits 1,000 members. Click to join the SarcoidosisUK Facebook Group.
- June: SILA Central London Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- June: SILA Bristol Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- May: SILA Cardiff Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- May: SILA Scotland South Support Group holds 1st meeting.
- January: Jack Richardson joins SILA as a part-time assistant in January and then became the charity’s first full time employee as Executive Officer in August.
2010 - 2015
- 2015: SILA-BLF Sarcoidosis Research Grant commissioned a £116,000 2-year academic research project at the Hull-York Medical school into protein molecules. Start date April 2016. SarcoidosisUK Research.
- 2015-16: Generous grant from anonymous foundation helps to fund professionalisation of charity operations.
- 2015: John Cordner joins SILA as Trustee and Treasurer.
- 2014: SILA begins formal research partnership with the British Lung Foundation (BLF). The BLF agree to double SILA’s research budget each year.
- 2014: Henry Shelford elected as Chairman of SILA.
- 2011: Paul Sinclare elected as Trustee and Secretary of SILA.
1997 - 2010
- 2003-2014: SILA continues to move forward.
- 2003: Henry Shelford raises £30,000 for sarcoidosis research, setting the world record for the world’s highest formal dinner.
- 2000: 1st SILA Support Group formed in South London. Monthly meetings at Kings College Hospital, led by Heather Walker.
- 1997: Paul Sinclare elected as Treasurer of SILA.
- 1997: Sarcoidosis and Interstitial Lung Association (SILA) registered as a charity to help support people in the UK with sarcoidosis.
Related content from SarcoidosisUK:
We would love to hear from you. Please get in touch with any questions, comments or suggestions.
We are a small, passionate team who care a lot about our mission to cure sarcoidosis. Click below to see who we are!
SarcoidosisUK fund world-leading research into sarcoidosis. Our goal is to find a cure for the condition.