SARCOIDOSIS RESEARCH HUB
SarcoidosisUK is one of the worlds leading investors into sarcoidosis research. We are committed to finding a cure.
Sarcoidosis is a rare and often misunderstood disease that does not receive sufficient attention from pharmaceutical companies or medical researchers. Therefore research into sarcoidosis is limited. SarcoidosisUK are changing this.
SarcoidosisUK may be small but we are a leading investor in sarcoidosis research. We work hard to raise sufficient money to fund at least one major sarcoidosis research project each year. To ensure greater efficiency and maximise our investment, we conduct our research in partnership with the British Lung Foundation (BLF) who have agreed to double our research budget.
We will keep funding research each year, again and again, until we have found a cure.
We receive no government funding – none of our research would be possible without your generous donations. With your support, SarcoidosisUK will continue fighting sarcoidosis.
Members of the British Lung Foundation Scientific Committee voting on the SarcoidosisUK-BLF Sarcoidosis Research Grant 2019, May 2019. SarcoidosisUK representatives can be seen at the back of the picture.
DONATE TO SARCOIDOSIS RESEARCH
Read more about past and current SarcoidosisUK research projects:
3D Lung Scarring at the University of Southampton
Antibiotic Clinical Trial at the University of Hull
Breath Analysis at the University of Manchester
Biomarkers at Cambridge Interstitial Lung Disease Unit
Immunology Research at Hull York Medical School
SarcoidosisUK Research Grant – How it Works
Click the boxes in the timeline below to reveal more details about our research process.
December (previous year) - Sarcoidosis Research Grant Announced
- Grant advertised through the SarcoidosisUK mailing list, British Lung Foundation (BLF) research mailing list, British Thoracic Society newsletter and to known UK sarcoidosis researchers.
- Application forms available through SarcoidosisUK and BLF websites.
January - Preliminary Submission Deadline
- Deadline for preliminary applications from interested candidates.
- All applications submitted to the BLF Head of Research.
February to May - Application Scoring
- Applications evaluated by BLF Research Committee (12 respiratory scientists, 2 lay members and 2 representatives of SarcoidosisUK).
- Each application scored to create a shortlist.
- Shortlisted applicants invited to submit a full application.
- Full application sent for external peer review by international experts in a relevant field.
July - Scientific Committee Meeting
- SarcoidosisUK and the BLF Research Committee meets to discuss full applications and to make funding recommendations.
August to September - Award Announced
- Winning applicant decided by SarcoidosisUK and BLF based on Scientific Committee meeting recommendations.
- Decision ratified by SarcoidosisUK Board of Trustees and the BLF Board of Trustees.
- Successful candidate informed and grant funds released.
- Research project usually commences later in the year or early the following year.
ARE YOU A RESEARCHER?
SarcoidosisUK and the British Lung Foundation are inviting full applications for a grant to support sarcoidosis research.
The ‘SarcoidosisUK – BLF Sarcoidosis Research Grant’ is available to medically qualified applicants, post-doctoral scientists or allied health professionals for clinical, laboratory and/or epidemiological research into sarcoidosis.
Grants are for a specified period of up to three years to a maximum of £120,000.
Applications may seek costs for personnel, equipment and consumables etc. where appropriate. The grant-holding institution must be based in the United Kingdom. Click the link below to apply or get in touch for more details.
Related content from SarcoidosisUK:
Sarcoidosis and Fatigue
Do you experience fatigue? Find symptoms, treatment and more information about sarcoidosis and fatigue.
Do you want to find a consultant? Use our directory to find a sarcoidosis specialist or clinic near you.
How can we support you? Find more information on our Nurse Helpline, Support Groups and Online Support.